Guess Who! Share your pictures from Spirit Week with Cendie by emailing them. I will have these posted for open voting. The teacher with the most votes, will take home one of the GRAND prizes! Email these on or before Monday May 1st if you want to get involved! We will vote for the best dressed!
05/05 – Zach Tremper
05/05 – Mrs. Simons
05/23 – Jermiah Kidwell
(if your birthday is missing, please let Cendie know)
NEW! Got someone you’d like to Shout Out or a special announcement you’d like to share– Please click here to nominate someone or share your story! http://tinyurl.com/SHOUTOUT-NEMS
In This Issue
Wednesday PD @ A Glance
Game Day Ready (Test Command Center)
Beyond Practice – PD Opportunities
NEW! Campus Culture Opportunities
Just for Fun
PD @ A Glance
8th Grade had 11 teachers take the survey! 7th grade takes the lead with 13 participants! We all win because 100% of participants either agreed or strongly agreed that the topics were relevant for this time of year!
One participant wrote: “I liked the way facilitators open discussions to the entire 7th grade before decisions were made. Nice job.”
Here is the Career Day Potluck Sign Up! http://tinyurl.com/NEMS2017PotluckSignUp
Up next & next!
May 3rd: – Teacher Collaboration Day w/Content Teams
Your department chairs will facilitate the final meeting to allow for closeout, testing prep, and data collection where needed.
May 10th: – Final Grade Level Meetings
WORK TIME! Your Grade level leaders will structure how this time should be used so that the final weeks of school flow smoothly! If you’d like to be a part of the planning process, we meet after school on Monday, May 1st in Rad’s room to build the agenda and reflect on the last meeting. Contact me if you plan on joining! The more voices, the more clarity everyone walks away with!
*Non-PD Day Staff Hours – 8:05 AM- 4:35 PM based on the language in our contract.
Power Planning on Non-PD Days: Some of the suggested activities to do during this time are, but not limited to, creating lesson plans, entering grades, working in your classroom, or updating student data.
Download The NEMS 2nd Semester PD Calendar Here https://goo.gl/mzeXIS
Download The District School Calendar Here: https://goo.gl/s896Fu
Game Day Ready (in Test Command Center)
From the voice of your ALMIGHTY LIBRARIAN!
After much thought, we have decided to have book carts set up in the testing area during testing instead of having academies check out books this close to the end of the year. If students have books currently checked out, they need to be returned to me before testing begins. Thank you for your assistance!
You can access MAP related documents, manuals, & updated schedules by clicking here: This schedule also includes NWEA testing dates by academies http://tinyurl.com/NEMS-MAP17
NWEA & MAP tested students who receive ELL or Special Education services that normally test in small groups will test or be pulled by their teams. A schedule of those students and test dates will be published to you on or before May 5th.
– Grading window for 4th Quarter Midterm is now open until Friday, April 28th . Sites will print on Monday, May 1st. If you are having technical issues, please contact the HelpDesk.
-All teachers must return their laptops to the helpdesk at 2901 Troost. They will be required to fill out the check in form which only takes 3 to 5 minutes. Non-returning staff members on a contract are scheduled to receive pay up through 8/15/17. Word around town is, KCPS will deduct amounts owed if you do not return equipment!
- Last day of school for students is Friday, May 26- The last day for 10.5 month school staff is Tuesday, May 30 (Monday, May 29 is Memorial Day – KCPS offices and schools will be closed) Contact the Department of Communications & Community Engagement with questions:
(816) 418-7420 / email@example.com
Beyond Practice-PD Opportunities
Princeston Grayson shared these amazing summer PD opportunities and the line up looks promising! #ImprovingOurCraft – Check em out!
- http://tinyurl.com/SummerPDLineUp with Kansas City PBS
These are opportunities that Faith Howard ran across & they involve making money by writing questions for MAP & EOC, take a look if you’re interested!
ITEM WRITING for 2018-2019 EOC and MAP assessments
The deadline for signups is April 30th–
Science MAP item writing will take place over 2 separate sessions in Columbia/Jefferson City area June 6-8 and in the Kansas City area June 19-21. DO NOT APPLY FOR CONSIDERATION IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMMIT TO ALL 3 DAYS. TEACHERS WILL BE CHOSEN FOR ONE OF THE 2 ITEM WRITING SESSIONS. For additional details (stipend, lodging, etc.) and to be considered for this opportunity please click the link:
– MAP Item Writing: https://goo.gl/forms/LVBi2yraHe7PfUr92
EOC Item writing for biology and physical science, Columbia/Jefferson City, May 30 – June 2. DO NOT APPLY FOR CONSIDERATION IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMMIT TO ALL 4 DAYS. For additional details (stipend, lodging, etc.) and to be considered for this opportunity please click the link:
– EOC item writing: https://goo.gl/forms/oUMBihXGhEeZgVY22
Science Interest or Questions Contact: John.Kitchens@dese.mo.gov
- ELA Item Writing: Contact Debbie.Jameson@dese.mo.gov – ELA Grade Level Assessments, grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, on Tuesday, June 20- Friday, June 23, 2017
– ELA End of Course Assessments, English I, English II, on Tuesday, May 30-Friday, June 3, 2017Please email Debbie Jameson with your grade preference, if interested.After the selection process, you will receive a confirmation or be placed on the waiting list. A $250 stipend, which includes your mileage/evening meals, will be offered. DESE will pay for a substitute if needed. Lodging is provided.Here is a chance for Missouri educators to have input into the new assessments!
Assistant Superintendent, Dr. Trinity Davis shared KCPS summer pd opportunities–
- Click link to see more. http://tinyurl.com/KCPS-Summer2017PD
Campus Culture Opportunities
JEAN DAYS EVERY DAY MAY 1 -May 5th! Plus, members of the front office and admin team have something in store for you each day!
All Things Teacher & City Year Appreciation! Thanks to Bobbie & KCPS communication team for sharing several of these!
- Teacher Appreciation Day at the KC Zoo
- Chipotle is also offering the following deal… Yummy! JTeachers + free burritos = stellar math. On Tuesday, May 2nd we’re having our Teacher Appreciation Day, so we’re saying thanks by offering Buy-One/Get-One FREE burritos, bowls, salads, or orders of tacos for all teachers with a faculty ID at any Chipotle location in the U.S. from 3pm til close. Learn more: chipotle.com/teacherappreciation
- May 19th – Career Day @ NEMS – Contact Terray Doakes if you need more info!
- City Year – Graduation ceremony of our 50 Founding Year AmeriCorps members! http://tinyurl.com/CITYYEARGRADS2017
The month of May, you can find me in the library! The best way to get on my calendar if you need support with analyzing your data, building mini-lessons, or review activities is to complete the coaching and collaboration form below.
It’s time to showcase what we’ve done all year! Let’s Make It Happen!
Coaching & Collaboration Form.” http://tinyurl.com/CollabForm2
Just For Fun!
This DUDE is hilarious! Follow Principal Gerry Brooks! If you ever need a random reason to laugh. See what he has to say about teacher appreciation week ideas for principals! https://youtu.be/aysufLCpOdU
Try grading this paper without laughing!